[Talk-GB] Rebooting the NAPTAN import?

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sun Apr 3 16:53:38 BST 2011

On 03/04/11 14:19, Stuart Grimshaw wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Jerry Clough : SK53 on OSM
> <SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:
>> a) Do not import any NaPTAN data in areas where imports have already taken
>> place. Experience shows that detailed survey&  correction of NaPTAN data is
>> not to be undertaken lightly. IIRC about 10% is wrong. The best data are for
>> Hullwhere Chris Hill surveyed the lot. I have done only about 20% of
>> Nottingham's NaPTAN stops and have a similar error rate. Unfortunately
>> processing NaPTAN alongside primary surveying just didnt prove viable, but
>> there are plenty of stops which no longer exist, have moved or dont exist on
>> the ground.
>> b) Check with any mappers in the area before performing an import. There may
>> be good reasons why they have not requested one in the past.
>> c) The best approach would be to host current NaPTAN data in a location
>> where OSM data can be compared&  then mappers could choose to import it.
>> Having an application which did this would be way more useful than
>> shoehorning NaPTAN data in on its own.
> I think this is a great idea Jerry, an app for people to compare what
> OSM holds already against what's in the latest version of NAPTAN, the
> data we were looking at was a few days old.
>
> What's the maximum area or number of points a tool like this would
> normally import? You don't want someone just selecting the whole of
> the UK&  then importing them.

I much prefer Andy's idea of an editor overlay. Then no data is directly
imported into OSM, but data can be selectively compared and copied from
a data layer to use stops and other features, such as stop areas, where
someone is interested.

Surveying the whole of a city, even a smallish one having about 1300
stops, to verify its NaPTAN import was a ridiculously large task, being
able to copy a much smaller area would have made much more sense. That
way someone could copy the stops for a bus route or around a
neighbourhood and work on those and it would be easier to manage for
multiple people working in one area.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly