[Talk-GB] Maxspeed tagging for the UK

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Apr 6 16:26:10 BST 2011

On 6 April 2011 16:19, Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'd put the number for cars (ie 70mph for a dual carriageway), and the
> source if it's not the number that's on the sign.
>
> So maxspeed=30mph+source:maxspeed=national means: there's some street
> lights and no signs. If "there's some street lights and no signs"
> comes to mean something else, then a bot can change the
> "maxspeed=30mph" (adding a note that it's done so).
>
> Almost - my preference would be for  'maxspeed=30 mph' +
'source:maxspeed=UK:urban' as being a better match with proposals for other
countries. I think we also need agreed distinct text for national single
carriageway and national dual carriageway to avoid confusion over trunk
oneway roads and trunk dual carriageways.Should we do national motorway
while we are at it given that our government is keen on increasing that
speed at present?

 Speeds for other vehicles can also probably be deduced from the car
> speed, and whether it's explicitly signed or just using the national
> legislation.

That is would I would recommend

Peter