[Talk-GB] Publishing Self-Devised Walks

daniel at daniel-watkins.co.uk daniel at daniel-watkins.co.uk
Sat Apr 9 12:00:00 BST 2011

Hello all,

Over the past couple of weeks, I've come up with a couple of interesting
walks from my house.  I would like to publish these on my blog, in the
hopes that other people looking for walks in the area will find them.
However, I haven't yet worked out a good way to do this.

One thought I had was to add all the constituent ways to a relation, and
then link to the relation shown on the OSM map (as in [0] and [1]).
However, I wasn't sure if this was an abuse of relations, given that this
isn't a walk that exists anywhere but in my head (as opposed to a more
'official' walk).

At the other end of the spectrum is screenshots and using the GIMP to draw
my route on (or using a mapping site like BikeRouteToaster to draw the
lines on, and taking screenshots of that).  However, this seems really
lame (as you lose all of the slippy-map goodness, and the updating of the
surrounding area/data), so I'd prefer not to have to resort to this.

Has anyone else done something like this?  Have I missed a project
somewhere which is designed to store such things?  Any input would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

[Footnote 0: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?relation=77959]