[Talk-GB] Publishing Self-Devised Walks

SK53 on OSM SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 9 13:21:02 BST 2011

On 09/04/2011 12:00, daniel at daniel-watkins.co.uk wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Over the past couple of weeks, I've come up with a couple of interesting
> walks from my house.  I would like to publish these on my blog, in the
> hopes that other people looking for walks in the area will find them.
> However, I haven't yet worked out a good way to do this.
>
> One thought I had was to add all the constituent ways to a relation, and
> then link to the relation shown on the OSM map (as in [0] and [1]).
> However, I wasn't sure if this was an abuse of relations, given that this
> isn't a walk that exists anywhere but in my head (as opposed to a more
> 'official' walk).
>
> At the other end of the spectrum is screenshots and using the GIMP to draw
> my route on (or using a mapping site like BikeRouteToaster to draw the
> lines on, and taking screenshots of that).  However, this seems really
> lame (as you lose all of the slippy-map goodness, and the updating of the
> surrounding area/data), so I'd prefer not to have to resort to this.
>
> Has anyone else done something like this?  Have I missed a project
> somewhere which is designed to store such things?  Any input would be much
> appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Dan
>

> [Footnote 0: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?relation=77959]
> [Footnote 1: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?relation=93785]

Adding personal walks with relations would certainly be an abuse of OSM:
just imagine if we had a tiny fraction of the country's dog walkers doin
the same! Such information is not open to verification, and is not
related to on-the-ground features.

There are plenty of sites for sharing this kind of information: GPSies
is one (see for example
<http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=szmbmawxbaehsmsf> my RA mystery
walk
<http://sk53-osm.blogspot.com/2011/03/not-very-mysterious-mystery-walk.html>).

There are also sites like Nick Whitelegg's Freemap
<http://www.free-map.org.uk/freemap/index.php> which are aiming to
integrate the sort of information walkers are interested in sharing.

If you want to use OSM data to generate the route using routing it is
possible to create a GPX or KML file on a number of routing engines
(e.g., OpenRouteService, OpenMapQuest). The resulting trace can be
displayed using OpenLayers with an OSM background or added to a site
like GPSies. Have a look at the OL KML example here
<http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/kml-layer.html>. Obviously the route
you choose will depend on how much technical effort you want to expend.

Jerry