[Talk-GB] OSM Analysis and ITO Map now updating daily. New stats for OSM Analysis. New overlay maps for ITO Map

Richard Moss richard at richardmoss.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 23:02:14 BST 2011

> Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 08:07:31 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Ed Avis  et.com>To: tal
> k-gb at openstreetmap.orgSubject: Re: [Talk-GB] OSM Analysis and ITO Map now updating daily.
> New	stats for OSM Analysis. New overlay maps for ITO Map
>
> Here are some examples of not:name and highway=no:
>
>  n=-0.21501&layers=B0TF>
> >From the comparison report you can see only two
> errors remaining.  That isbecause the others have been checked, and where OS was wrong a not:name has
> beentagged.
>
> If you download the map for that area you'll see some ways tagged with
> highway=no. This is where I visited and found there was no road there any
> more.The highway=no way is just a placeholder to mark the not:name tag for the
> check.
> --

I'd not met " highway=no" before, although I have used not:name.  But I'm beginning to worry about the principle that we are cluttering up the OSM databse with stuff that is "not" there.  OSM is about what is on the ground.  I don't know what ITO's particular interests are, but should we really be putting negative stuff on OSM, just because another map is wrong?

Richard
(user: richardm565)