[Talk-GB] Vandalism/bad edits in Cardiff (changeset 7775606)

SK53 on OSM SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 21:55:06 BST 2011

On 11/04/2011 21:20, Paul Williams wrote:
> Hi,
> In and around Cardiff city centre, a new user has recently decided in
> his first edit (see
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/7775606) to go about and
> delete several things from the map including POIs, roads or parts of
> roads, and even the Cardiff place node - so Cardiff is now not on OSM
> as a place! I sent a polite message to the user on Sunday morning to
> ask whether he had made some mistake but haven't had a response yet. I
> can't see anything in the changeset which is at all constructive, all
> he seems to have done is delete things which were correctly mapped, so
> I was wondering whether the changeset can be reverted.
>
> Cheers
> Paul Williams
> (Paul The Archivist)

Quite an effective edit, Nominatim now thinks Splott is in Newport.

I always find this type of situation awkward: a quick revert will
minimise the need to do a lot of effort cleaning up, but I always hate
correcting edits by new contributions unless I can add something more.

IMO, the best person to weigh up these factors and act on them is you.
You are a local mapper. Your edits & contributions are amongst those
affected.

It is possible to use the History option in JOSM. Download Cardiff
centre and then from the history menu choose Revert Changeset. There
don't seem to be any conflicts at the moment & it's possible to check
over the data before reloading back to OSM.

Of course this is just my take on things, and perhaps I'm biased having
fixed a bad RR8 edit on the Nottingham Ring Road only yesterday.

Cheers,

Jerry