[Talk-GB] Maxspeed tagging for the UK

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Tue Apr 12 10:12:32 BST 2011

On 12/04/2011 09:38, Peter Miller wrote:

> On 11 April 2011 23:39, SomeoneElse <lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
> <mailto:lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk>> wrote:
>

>     We've lost the information that the sign is actually NOT a 60 mph
>     sign.  Something like method 2 above would have avoided losing
>     information (although "GB:rural" is meaningless; if pushed,
>     "GB:national" or some variant would be better).
>

> The general conclusion of the discussion above was that where
> maxspeed=60mph is applied to a single carriageway road there is also a
> default 'maxspeed:type=GB:unrestricted' (or whatever value is decided
> on).

Really?  Perhaps we were reading different discussions, but what I saw were:

o People saying "national != 60 mph"

o People saying "don't make it harder for the mapper"

I'm guessing that you prefer a single numeric speed limit because it
makes things easier to parse by e.g. the ITO World maxspeed layer, but
surely changing the data to match the application is the wrong way around?

I don't mind you always ensuring that maxspeed is numeric, provided that
information isn't lost in the process - so if you complete your edits to
indicate that, despite what the maxspeed tag is set to, the speed limit
sign actually says "national", I wouldn't object.

> This default (and the one for 70mph for motorways and
> dual-carriageways) was including to avoid burdening the mapper with
> another tag to add in most situations. The only 60 mph signs that need
> another tag are those rare cases where a single carriageway road does
> have a numeric speed limit.

If you choose to change where I've mapped to "maxspeed=national" to
"maxspeed=60 mph; and some other tags to indicate that it is actually
national" that's not a burden to me in the slightest!  I can still map
"maxspeed=what_the_sign_says" as I have been doing.

Cheers,
Andy