[Talk-GB] Maxspeed tagging for the UK

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Apr 14 11:06:31 BST 2011

On 14 April 2011 09:59, Steve Doerr <doerr.stephen at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 14/04/2011 08:21, Peter Miller wrote:
>

> On 12 April 2011 15:39, Steve Doerr <doerr.stephen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/04/2011 15:16, Ed Avis wrote:
>>

>   However, one flaw is that the speed limit sign is not for 'dual
>>> carriageway
>>> limit applies' but rather 'national speed limit applies'.  So we still
>>> would not
>>> be tagging exactly what appears on the sign, but adding some additional
>>> interpretation.  I think that is fair enough, but those who hold to a
>>> strict
>>> on-the-ground principle may disagree.
>>>

>  I was going to make the same point.
>>
>> maxspeed:derivation=national_dual|national_single|motorway|restricted ?
>>

>  I think we are getting there. Two points:
>
> 1) The phase maxspeed:type has already be proposed and is in use in some
> places. Can I there suggest maxspeed:type rather than maxspeed:derivation. I
> think that will also be more understandable to people who's first language
> is not English.
>
> 2) In place of 'national' can I suggest 'GB:' to fit with international
> conventions.
>
> Which brings one to the following:
>
> maxspeed:type=GB:dual|GB:single|GB:motorway|GB:restricted
>
>   But that then negates the point Ed was making and that I was agreeing
> with: that the sign says 'national speed limit applies' for the first two.
> So my suggestion conveys two pieces of information in one tag:
>
> - the road is subject to the national speed limit (because of a sign);
> - the road is dual or single as the case may be (because the mapper has
> observed it to be so).
>
> It also preserves explicitly the distinction between the national speed
> limit (60 or 70, special sign) and the 30 mph 'restricted road' limit.
>
> I don't mind 'type' for 'derivation', and the GB: prefix makes sense. I
> believe GB is the ISO code for the UK, not necessarily restricted to Great
> Britain (the British Isles minus the island of Ireland).

So the proposal is now:

maxspeed:type=GB:national_single|GB:national_dual|GB:motorway|GB:restricted

My only comment is that it is a little long, but it is at least unambiguous
and clear and as such I am happy to go with it.

The shorthand of 'national' can therefore be translated into one of the
above based on road class.

Regards,

Peter