[Talk-GB] Maxspeed tagging for the UK

monxton gmane at jordan-maynard.org
Thu Apr 14 11:43:08 BST 2011

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I'd like to emphasise the point that
others have made that the NationalSpeedLimitApplies sign should not be
tagged the same as a 60mph sign. Apart from the fact that it means
different things for different types of vehicle, it may not even mean
60mph for cars. Between 1973 and 1977 (which I remember well, though I
was not a driver!) the NSL was modified in various ways, including
reducing the max speed on single-carriageway roads to 50mph. This was an
energy-saving initiative, and perhaps it could happen again.

We should tag what we see on the ground, not convert it to whatever is
the current meaning of NSL.