[Talk-GB] Maxspeed tagging for the UK

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Apr 15 12:14:16 BST 2011

On 15 April 2011 02:36, Kai Krueger <kakrueger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve Doerr-2 wrote:
> >
> > On 09/04/2011 08:15, Peter Miller wrote:
> >
> >> maxspeed:type=GB:dual_carriageway (or GB:motorway, GB:rural, GB:urban)
> >

> according to taginfo.openstreetmap.de there are 72 000 source:maxspeed and
> only 552 maxspeed:type. So at least according to the data source:maxspeed
> is
> what mappers have agreed upon.
>
> Yes, I don't really like the source:maxspeed either, as source has
> traditionally been the meta information of how data has been surveyed and
> not the on the ground / legal reason for a tag value.
>
> In the name of consistency,  should one not stick to the "accepted method"
> though? Otherwise we might keep on going down the same path as with the
> "highway=footway" "highway=path" inconsistencies.
>
> Or perhaps we can do a mass bot-update of source:maxspeed to maxspeed:type?

Kai,

Thank you for your contributions to this discussion. Very helpful.

I do agree that  'source:maxspeed' is far more widely used than
'maxspeed:type' and that there is as a result a valid argument that we
should retain source:maxspeed for that purpose. However... it is not the
conventional use for a 'source:xxx' tag and will create confusion and doubt
for mappers in the future on what the source tag is for. It also begs the
question as to where one should put the source information, ie 'survey' or
'TfL speed database' for maxspeed.

Incidentally, TfL is a good example because as they do seem to have a good
attitude to releasing their speed database. It could be worth contacting
them to see if we could use it...

"Over the last few years, London has achieved considerable reductions in
casualties resulting from road traffic collisions. We are exploring new
technology for low cost ways to achieve further reductions

"One of the key challenges in realising a new generation of speed management
systems is the ability to accurately let the systems know what the speed
limit is across London. To address this challenge TfL have produced, and
will continue to maintain, a digital map of all London's speed limits.

"This will be made available free of charge to anyone who wishes to use the
map for personal use, or to create commercial applications.
"A beta Advisory ISA system is now available for public download, including
source code released under the GNU license. Only users who are comfortable
testing software and realise that beta software may contain bugs and still
require development should consider using this application. Furthermore you
should be prepared for TfL to seek feedback on your experience with the
application.

"Along with the source code of our application, we are making available
Point of Interest (POI) files to allow developers to create applications for
other common satellite navigation systems.

"A Keyhole Markup Language (KML) version of the ISA map is also available
which can be used in conjunction with Microsoft Live Maps or other GIS
applications.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/7893.aspx

Regards,

Peter