[Talk-GB] OSM Contributor Terms vs OS OpenData Licence

Robert Whittaker (OSM) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 13:39:45 BST 2011

On 18 April 2011 23:21, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Richard Bullock wrote:
>> It's on the "Copyright" page though
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright
>> "United Kingdom: Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and
>> database right 2010."
>>
>> That is, IIRC, what we were required to state.
>
> Well in that case, as long as nobody is planning to remove that, we should
> be fine with CT/ODbL?

No. The OS OpenData licence also requires "The same attribution
statements must be contained in any sub-licences of the Information
that you grant, together with a requirement that any further
sub-licences do the same."

Which I interpret to mean that not only must OSM provide that
attribution, we must ensure that all derived works, and any works
derived from them must too. In which case, *just* providing
attribution on the OSM website isn't, in itself, sufficient.

--
Robert Whittaker