[Talk-GB] National Byway rendering on OpenCycleMap

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 11:24:31 BST 2011

Richard Fairhurst [mailto:richard at systemed.net] wrote:
>Sent: 20 April 2011 10:17 AM
>To: talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] National Byway rendering on OpenCycleMap
>
>Andy Allan wrote:
>> If we keep the route=bicycle I would suggest network=ncn, name =
>> National Byway and therefore bring it into line with all the other
>> national cycling routes in every other country in OSM.
>
>Strongly disagree. But then you know that. :)
>
>I think the root (route?) problem is that we're tagging everything as
>"networks" even if they're not. I've been as guilty as anyone of this: when
>mapped the Four Castles Cycle Route around Abergavenny, I tagged it as lcn,
>"just to get it to render".
>
>But it isn't a network, really. It's just a route. Lots of other people
have done
>this, to the extent that I wince whenever I look at OCM at z<13 - all that
>obtrusive dark blue in places which really don't have local cycle networks
at all.

This raises an important point that cropped up last week in Brum where Brian
had tagged a serious of routes that the local campaign group, Pushbikes, are
promoting. The issue was that these routes don't exist on the ground. Like a
bus route there is nothing really to tell you a route exists though there is
clearly information around (paper map etc) that confirms they do and shows
you where they go, a bus route map would be similar. So for me whether it is
part of a network or not is immaterial. As far as I'm concerned using
ncn/lcn/lcn is the best way of tagging a signed logical route whether its
part of a bigger network or not. For routes that are not signed perhaps
another layer is needed so that you can print the route and follow it but it
doesn't clutter the signed physical network version of the cycle map.

For now I've removed the lcn tags from a couple of the Pushbikes unsigned
routes in Brum and Brian and I have it on our to-do to work out how best to
handle them locally going forwards as we want to help promote Pushbikes
excellent work.

Cheers

Andy