[Talk-GB] Retour de l'autoroute britannique

Borbus borbus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 13:34:16 GMT 2011

On 08/12/11 13:13, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Set your stopwatches for the first newspaper story about "man drives off
> cliff - '...but Google told me it was a road'!". Some of their choices
> are, shall we say, a little heroic.

Oh dear...

Some highlights in my area:

http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=googlemap&mt1=mapnik&lon=1.36799&lat=52.60886&zoom=16

This is a very bumpy single track public bridleway with gates at either
end.  It's actually part of NCN1 but an alternative, longer route is
provided for those wanting a smoother ride.

http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=googlemap&mt1=mapnik&lon=1.22878&lat=52.62211&zoom=16

That cycle path is bollarded at either end and the track is for private
use and has locked gates.  So no, there is no access by motorvehicle to
the university from the West.

http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=googlemap&mt1=mapnik&lon=1.23534&lat=52.65464&zoom=15

You've got to be kidding me... Marriot's way is a disused railway path
which is now a cycle path with horses allowed too.  Motorvehicles are
not allowed.  The bridlepaths are all unpaved and muddy.

And many more.

Sorry, Google, but there is no substitute for surveys and local knowledge.

--
Borbus.