[Talk-GB] Adding a further 250, 000 UK roads quickly using a Bot?

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 12:35:07 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com> wrote:

> On 3 February 2011 11:32, Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Jerry Clough : SK53 on OSM
>> <SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> > OS OpenData is out-of-date. The April 2010 StreetView tiles are at least
>> > 2
>> > years old, and where I've checked VDM is similarly dated. I have not
>> > failed
>> > to find a significant change between OS OpenData (and Bing imagery) in
>> > detailed surveys I've done this year. Chris Hill has a similar
>> > experience.
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> i've had to remove several things which were traced and tagged from OS
>> which are no longer present. for example; [1], which was demolished in
>> 2007 (and deconsecrated some time previously).
>>
>> it's not the use of OS data which is the problem, it's using it in
>> areas of which there's no recent local knowledge and, pretty much by
>> definition, any bot would have no local knowledge ;-)
>
> Would it be useful to be able to add annotations to base layers to indicate
> where they are wrong. For example to add a polygon to a Bing or Yahoo aerial
> or OS Streetview layer that partly obsures the image and says 'this area has
> changed' or something similar. This would need to be flagged for re-checking
> when the source material is updated.

it seems to me that this would simply add another place for stuff to
be wrong, whether out of date or simply mis-entered or misunderstood.
all data is out-of-date the moment it's been surveyed, so while other
data sources are useful, i prefer to base my own efforts on knowledge
of the area or real surveying.

> Another approach would be for the submit process to put up an alert 'you are
> adding a feature which has previously been deleted - the deletion included
> the following comment in the changeset'.

with fuzzy matching of the features to prevent against misspelling,
differences in tagging, etc... this sounds very cool, but my
SMOP-sense is tingling. ;-)

as andy pointed out, i think we're addressing the wrong problem and
trying to fix it technically. maybe the best way forward is to address
the social problem: what can we do to grow the community? is it just
me, or did we used to have more mapping parties? (maybe it's just the
winter) do we need to try and reach out to cycling / youth /
technology SIGs and hope that some of them find this as addictive as
we do?

OSM is a wiki, which means it's only mildly annoying when people trace
OS / Yahoo / Bing data into my local area (or import a bunch of
massively positionally inaccurate bus stops). i can watch the area
using the tools available and correct it. but my local area is quite
small - how can we get more people to monitor and "garden" their own
local area?

finally, if it's a rich, accurate and detailed data set you want then
importing OS data isn't going to help. someone will need to put in the
extra stuff that's not on OS / Yahoo / Bing. so we're going to need
people on the ground surveying or living there anyway...

cheers,

matt