[Talk-GB] Adding a further 250, 000 UK roads quickly using a Bot?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Feb 3 11:55:21 GMT 2011

On 3 February 2011 11:32, Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Jerry Clough : SK53 on OSM
> <SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > OS OpenData is out-of-date. The April 2010 StreetView tiles are at least
> 2
> > years old, and where I've checked VDM is similarly dated. I have not
> failed
> > to find a significant change between OS OpenData (and Bing imagery) in
> > detailed surveys I've done this year. Chris Hill has a similar
> experience.
>
> +1.
>
> i've had to remove several things which were traced and tagged from OS
> which are no longer present. for example; [1], which was demolished in
> 2007 (and deconsecrated some time previously).
>
> it's not the use of OS data which is the problem, it's using it in
> areas of which there's no recent local knowledge and, pretty much by
> definition, any bot would have no local knowledge ;-)

Would it be useful to be able to add annotations to base layers to indicate
where they are wrong. For example to add a polygon to a Bing or Yahoo aerial
or OS Streetview layer that partly obsures the image and says 'this area has
changed' or something similar. This would need to be flagged for re-checking
when the source material is updated.

Another approach would be for the submit process to put up an alert 'you are
adding a feature which has previously been deleted - the deletion included
the following comment in the changeset'.

Regards,

peter