[Talk-GB] Adding a further 250, 000 UK roads quickly using a Bot?

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Thu Feb 3 13:17:07 GMT 2011

Dair Grant <dair at ...> writes:

>> There is suggestion raised by a number of people, but refuted by others that
>> imports reduce the number of contributors.
>
>It has been denied, not refuted. I think the closest there is to real data
>on the effect is:
>
><http://www.asklater.com/matt/wordpress/2009/09/imports-and-the-community-ii>

We do also have real data on the effect of not doing imports - the towns which
are almost completely unmapped.  While importing data from OS may not be ideal,
doing nothing and waiting for somebody to go and map it doesn't seem like a
successful strategy either, if the past five years are a guide.

For prosperous city areas there is no difficulty finding a local mapper who will
take on a new hobby to get away from the computer screen for a few hours.  But
OSM has a real coverage gap in socially disadvantaged areas (Fake SteveC has a
pithier name for them).  But we want a complete map and not just a map of where
the typical OSM contributor lives.  If using some of the work already done by
the Ordnance Survey helps us get there, that has to be a good thing.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>