[Talk-GB] Adding a further 250, 000 UK roads quickly using a Bot?

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Thu Feb 3 14:41:41 GMT 2011

Richard Fairhurst <richard at ...> writes:

>>We do also have real data on the effect of not doing imports - the towns
>>which are almost completely unmapped.
>
>So let's go and map them. It's worked very well so far.
>
>Am I missing something?

'Worked very well so far' is the part I disagree with.  The OSM model has worked
well for densely populated, prosperous areas.  It's not at all clear that it is
working well for remoter ones.  If it were, we would not be having this
conversation.

Also, the progress that has been made in OSM so far has not been purely by
people ground surveying with GPS units.  In many countries the Yahoo imagery
(and now Bing) has turbo-charged the project by allowing large areas to be
approximately mapped using your excellent Potlatch tool, and then visited on the
ground to add street names and more detail.  I suggest that getting a basic map
in place using OS data (where nothing exists now) would also help mapping.

I don't at all disagree with going out and mapping them!  But I don't think that
is a reason not to use all the resources that are available to us in addition to
our own ground surveys.  If someone else has surveyed the area and made their
map available to us then why not use it?

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>