[Talk-GB] Adding a further 250, 000 UK roads quickly using a Bot?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Feb 3 14:53:17 GMT 2011

On 3 February 2011 14:41, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:

> Richard Fairhurst <richard at ...> writes:
>
> >>We do also have real data on the effect of not doing imports - the towns
> >>which are almost completely unmapped.
> >
> >So let's go and map them. It's worked very well so far.
> >
> >Am I missing something?
>
> 'Worked very well so far' is the part I disagree with.  The OSM model has
> worked
> well for densely populated, prosperous areas.  It's not at all clear that
> it is
> working well for remoter ones.  If it were, we would not be having this
> conversation.
>
> Also, the progress that has been made in OSM so far has not been purely by
> people ground surveying with GPS units.  In many countries the Yahoo
> imagery
> (and now Bing) has turbo-charged the project by allowing large areas to be
> approximately mapped using your excellent Potlatch tool, and then visited
> on the
> ground to add street names and more detail.  I suggest that getting a basic
> map
> in place using OS data (where nothing exists now) would also help mapping.
>
> I don't at all disagree with going out and mapping them!  But I don't think
> that
> is a reason not to use all the resources that are available to us in
> addition to
> our own ground surveys.  If someone else has surveyed the area and made
> their
> map available to us then why not use it?

Statistics says that if there are 1,000 biggish places in a country and a
small percentage of slightly obsessive mappers available, a random
percentage of whom will meet OSM and get addicted then a percentage of towns
around where they live and go will get mapped fast. However... waiting for
obsessive mappers to turn up in every unmapped location in the country is an
entirely different matter and has a very low probability!

Regards,

Peter