[Talk-GB] Adding a further 250, 000 UK roads quickly using a Bot?

SK53 on OSM SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 15:10:53 GMT 2011

On 03/02/2011 13:36, Tom Chance wrote:
> On 3 February 2011 11:51, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com
> <mailto:eda at waniasset.com>> wrote:
>
>     I think automatically importing the OS data for areas where OSM
>     currently has
>     little to no coverage - or coverage merely traced from Yahoo
>     imagery - is
>     a great idea.
>

> I agree.
>
> I would be totally opposed to this bot sniffing around Southwark,
> which we have got very close to 100% through a lot of on-the-ground
> surveying. I would echo Ed's observation that the OS road names have
> been much more accurate than the OSM data, mind you.
>
> For areas like Southwark with at least a few dedicated mappers willing
> to alter their commutes and check roads, the manual approach is much,
> much better.
>
> But what about the Lleyn Peninsula in Gwynedd, north west Wales? I've
> worked on Criccieth and the surrounding area for years, some others
> have done bits in a few other towns, but most of the county and the
> peninsula are still very bare after 5-6 years of OSM.
>
> I don't see anyone nipping out on their bicycle of a weekend, or
> altering their commute to work, to finish the basic road network in
> Gwynedd. I suspect the area has a very low density of IT/geo
> professionals. Most of the work seems to be done by tourists, like me,
> who visit specific areas often.
>
> If there are tools like the "no names" map and maybe an "un-checked OS
> Locator copied names" map, I don't see the problem with giving those
> remote rural areas a big boost. If anything, it might make it easier
> to recruit the sort of local mappers that can happily add a handful of
> local POIs.
>
> Best wishes,
> Tom
>
> --
> http://tom.acrewoods.net http://twitter.com/tom_chance

Well this touches close to home.

My mother's family come from North Wales: many of the poorly mapped
places in the area either have family associations, relatives still
living there or other memories from family holidays or my early
childhood. You can look at places I've mapped in the area: some are from
short more or less annual visits to the area, others reflect deeper
meaning: the cemetery where my uncle and great-grandmother are buried,
the village where my cousins' used to run the post office, the house
where my mother holidayed before WWII, the open land which caught fire
and my father helped beat out the flames.

Llyn does have a basic road network (pace Richard).  On top of that the
OS data is a poor substitute for exploring the rich topography of Llyn,
or for engaging people who already know it.

So why don't we try and find some local organisations which might have
an interest: the local councils may well log GPS traces for their
vehicles. There is a centre at Plas Tan-y-Bwlch
<http://www.eryri-npa.gov.uk/study-centre> run by the Snowdonia National
Park which runs conferences & courses. There is a university at Bangor
with a CS department. There is an incipient Welsh Placename Society
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11800957>. There is the Royal
Commission <http://www.rcahmw.gov.uk/> on Ancient Monuments for Wales
which is in beta with the People's Collection Wales
<http://www.peoplescollectionwales.co.uk/>. In most parts of England
there are active Welsh Societies (e.g,[1],[2]), perhaps their members
would love a talk about OSM and the chance to reminisce about the
villages and towns where they grew up. There are local history societies
like that for the Nantlle <http://www.nantlle.com/home.htm>valley. There
is the Urdd <http://www.urdd.org/index.php?lng=en>.

In other words there are lots of people & organisations with which we at
OSM could engage, or we could just import the OS data.

Jerry

[1]. http://www.devamedia.co.uk/cymdeithas/nottingham/
[2]. http://www.oxfordshirewelshsociety.com/