[Talk-GB] Adding a further 250, 000 UK roads quickly using a Bot?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Feb 4 11:29:34 GMT 2011

On 4 February 2011 10:58, Bob Kerr <openstreetmapcraigmillar at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would back the use of such a bot but in area's that could do with the
> help and there are only a few of these now. There are a couple of small
> towns in Aberdeenshire that could do with a little boost. Just be careful.
> The rest will follow with a little patience
>
> I think it is a skill that may be useful to learn and a preparation for
> other data sets such as hopitals, churches, schools. This could be used as
> an overlay and not necessarily an import and very useful for other less
> developed countries

You raise a good point there. I am aware that we still have many place names
missing (available as open data in the NatGaz file released by
Traveline/DfT). There is also a DB of all schools in the UK which is
possibly appropriately licensed - we would need to check that one. Then
there is an update of NaPTAN - we did one import and the source data has
changed significantly and it has only been imported for part of the country
anyway. There will also be many other DBs coming available and we need a way
to sync to them while still maintaining a life!

> There are a large number of motivations. If we have more publicity we can
> have more people
>
> I would also like to point out the news of aerial image tracing
>
> http://opengeodata.org/
>
> leading to
>

> http://www.bing.com/community/site_blogs/b/maps/archive/2011/02/03/automatically-detect-roads-with-bing-aerial-imagery.aspx
>
> Which leads to the video.
>
> As far as I can make out, all data sources are incorrect in different ways.
> Some GPS surveys can be a mess,street name markers misspelled or wrong.
> Satellite imaging can be incorrectly georeferenced or out of date as are any
> data sources you can think of.

Agreed.

> I remember hearing that the district councils are getting together to
> release their "official" street name data. When this happens then OSM and OS
> data will converge so that we are all using the same names and then the
> street signs can be changed to the correct name.

Journalists talk about 'the data deluge' and to my mind we need to be
prepared for it. Clearly the current government is committed to opening up
all sorts of datasets. Street name gazeteers? lamp post locations and IDs
etc etc.

Regards,

Peter