[Talk-GB] Reclassification of English highway network consultation

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Mon Feb 7 19:12:24 GMT 2011

On 07/02/2011 17:52, Ralph Smyth wrote:
> The document is at:
> www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/2011-02/roadsnetworkconsultation.pdf

Nearly - it is now:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/2011-02/roadnetworkconsultation.pdf

(37 pages of extreme verbosity later, losing the will to live on the way)

>  One of the consultation questions is 'Do these reporting
>  arrangements ensure that all interest parties will receive update information
>  where required?'

Is "what the situation is supposed to be now" available anywhere?  If
not, does it really matter?  OSM already tends to react to signage
changes faster than commercial maps, so personally I wouldn't want to
pay someone in a local authority to do something that doesn't need to be
done.

>  - Do any Satnav providers use OSM data or is this likely in the future?

There are quite a few listed here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Routing

and also see here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin

Both of those pages suffer from the lack-of-quality,
lack-of-completeness and lack-of-up-to-date-ness that many OSM wiki
pages suffer from, but should at least give you an idea of the breadth
of routing options available.

Cheers,
Andy