[Talk-GB] Incorrect use of OS VectorMap District when mapping?

Kevin Peat kevin at kevinpeat.com
Wed Feb 9 20:27:20 GMT 2011

Hi Jason,

I am the mapper (user:devonshire) who imported the woods in your first
example around Dartmouth but it was last May so not exactly recently. The
woods that are there now are a lot better than the NPE traced ones that we
had before. I took the view at the time that importing the VectorMap data
would be a major improvement.

Since the Bing imagery (old as it is) became available I am not sure why
anyone would bother importing VectorMap woods as it is a lot less hassle to
trace from Bing and just take the names from the OS StreetView. Ultimately I
will probably replace the OS sourced data but it isn't a big priority for me
right now. Feel free if you have nothing better to do.

The VectorMap data for streams is good especially as they are virtually
impossible to survey well on the ground. Filling in the blanks may seem like
a good idea but whether it is a track bridging the stream, the stream is
piped or just disappears for a bit (as often happens in wetland areas) is
hard to know without a survey.

Kevin