[Talk-GB] Potlatch 2 tutorial videos. (Was: Re: Adding a further 250, 000 UK roads quickly using a Bot?)

davespod osmlists at dellams.fastmail.fm
Sat Feb 12 20:03:26 GMT 2011

Sorry, Tom. I meant to reply to your feedback.

Tom Chance wrote:

> Not sure if I'm also in Richard's "you lot" club, but I produced a fairly
> easy going introduction to OSM and Potlatch 2 including a video last year:

> http://www.openecomaps.co.uk/contribute.php

> I need to redo the video now I've set the site up off the OSM dev server,
> so
> any feedback is much appreciated.

You have taken a different approach to me and given an overview of the whole
lot. Good content. My main suggestion if you are planning to redo, is to
plan out exactly what you want to cover (down to the last mouse movement)
and what you plan to say. This keeps things punchy and cuts down the length.
On the other hand, it does take bloody ages to do it that way, so I can
understand if time constraints prevent it.

> Dave, very nice video. I must include the "undo" bit for people who panic!
> would include a mention of features that Potlatch 2 might not recognise
> (look in advanced), and I'd replace the one bit of jargon ("production
> database") with some plain english (perhaps "live database"?).

I agree, "live database" would be much better. As for the advanced tab, I
really want to keep away from all advanced features until part 3. I realise
there is a small risk the feature a mapper is about to add is already
present with an "unknown" set of tags, but I think the risk is small enough
not to add complexity to the video. At least Potlatch does suggest clicking
on Advanced if this happens, and _most_ tags are reasonably self explanatory
(bus stops are supported by the basic tab, so newbies should not need to
expose themselves to "naptan:AtcoCode=13003514H"!).

Cheers

David