[Talk-GB] Armchair-mapping postcodes (was: B72 is a wrap)

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Tue Feb 15 17:23:53 GMT 2011

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists <ajrlists at ...> writes:

>>Great work!  How can you tell when you have every postcode and is there
>some way of checking them against the OS OpenData postcode centroids?
>
>Just by being systematic. If you have Chillly's codepoint postcode layer
>sitting over BING its easy in the editor to assign the postcodes as you see
>them when adding buildings.

<http://www.raggedred.net/codepoint/>

I see - so you can use your judgement to work out the area of a postcode based
on its centroid and the streets and buildings nearby.

Since this isn't using any kind of ground survey to check the data, I wonder if
it would be a suitable task for a bot?  A program making guesses about postcode
areas might not be any more fallible than a human doing the same task.  Of course
it could only be done in areas that had already reached a high standard of
completeness, ideally with buildings traced as well as streets.

Or, perhaps, the robot could make suggestions which a human would then accept or
reject, so that 95% of the area could be covered, with human assistance for the
last few tricky bits.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>