[Talk-GB] 'Easy' Speciality Map Rendering

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 22:40:52 GMT 2011

Hi All,
Quite a bit of the feedback I have had on this suggestion has pointed
towards the documentation for the map rendering tools being very complicated
and hard to follow.
I think there are quite a few good step-by-step tutorials on setting up the
tools, but I think we may be lacking a 'stand back' overview of how it all
fits together and the basic concepts.

I have had a go at this overview in a presentation format (I think this is
easier to follow than a wiki page, but will get this information into the
OSM wiki somehow once people have commented on it).

You should be able to see 'Draft A' of the presentation at
http://maps3.org.uk/doc/Mapnik_OSM_Presentation.pdf.

I would welcome any comments, in particular on the level I have pitched it -
I am concious that many that work with computers will consider terms like
XML and SQL obvious, but thought it worth a slide on each.   I think that
slide 7 (the picture showing the relationship between the tools and the
configuration files) is particularly important - please let me know if I
have missed something!

I am concious that there are more things that could be included - I think
that map projections and OpenLayers are two things that could use a basic
introduction too - I would welcome your thoughts.

Regards

Graham.

--
Graham Jones