[Talk-GB] invisible

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 23:21:36 GMT 2011

Chris,
I don't know one about waterways, but for walking routes it is worth looking
at Lonvia's hiking map (http://osm.lonvia.de/world_hiking.html) - I use this
one.

I have had a bit of a go at learning how to create overlays for other things
- I started with supermarkets (http://maps.webhop.net/supermarkets), and
power stations (http://maps.webhop.net/power).   There is another one (
http://maps.webhop.net/topo/) that combines a few overlays and some
contours.   It would be very easy to convert these to generate waterways
overlays if you want to - I think they have an 'about' page.

Note that these are served off my computer at home, so they load rather
slowly - the upload speed on my broadband connection is not very good!

For point data rather than images, it might be worth doing it a different
way and using javascript to plot the points, but these simple images seem to
work - they just take up a lot of disk space if you render them to high zoom
levels.

Let me know if you need any help.

Graham.

On 17 January 2011 23:05, Chris Moss <moschris at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in the GB waterways and it seems there's quite a bit of work
> done but it's totally invisible. Is anyone working on a layer like the cycle
> map, which leaps out from the overlays as the only minority interest yet
> developed?
>
> It's not the only layer I'd like to see. What about walking paths,
> railways, contours,  points of interest, postcode areas, administrative
> boundaries, constituencies, bus routes, etc., etc.
>
> Shouldn't maps allow you to concentrate on whatever you're interested in?
> Can someone please explain to me how or if this can be done with
> openstreetmap?
>
> Chris

Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK.