[Talk-GB] invisible

Chris Moss moschris at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 18 15:01:07 GMT 2011

Many thanks to everyone who's replied. I have a page full of notes from
all your suggestions. The amount that is going on is very impressive.

Richard's point that OSM is a data project rather than an end user map
website  puzzles me. I can understand that in server terms there are
huge demands but isn't one of the ways of coping with that by being
selective about the data that's given out. That implies that the user
has to be able to specify what they're interested in - which requires a
whole data structure to support it.

As I understand it, all the data - supermarkets, bus routes, power grids
etc. is being uploaded to OSM and is also downloaded at some level of
detail - except that it's virtually useless because it can't be
distinguished from the other stuff. Or do I misunderstand what's going on?

When I look at openstreetmap I get a choice of 4 base layers: Mapnik,
Osmarender, Cycle Map and NoName. The first two appear to be rendering
engines, and I can find NoName in the wiki, but what is Cycle Map and
why is it there?

Please don't think I'm denigrating cyclists - I'm one myself. But
shouldn't there be an opportunity for 100 such layers?

What strikes me about the list of OSM-based services is that most of
them are restricted to one or a few countries; this isn't surprising for
many reasons, not least the language issue. But wouldn't it help if all
projects were on a country basis?

Chris