[Talk-GB] invisible

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 20:30:30 GMT 2011

Hi Folks,
To reply to the original question, I have had a *very* quick go at rendering
an overlay showing canal infrastructure over the standard OSM map rendering.
The higher zoom level tiles are still generating, but most of it is at
http://maps.webhop.net/canals.
It is running on my home server, which is a nice fast computer, but it is
behind a slow domestic broadband connection, so it will seem rather slow to
load from the outside world (sorry!).
It looks like the tile set is going to be about 1GB, so I can probably find
somewhere to host it faster if people are interested in it.

This is a very crude rendering - What it does is:

   - Extracts all data that is tagged waterway=<something>
   - Draws blue lines where waterway=canal
   - Draws blue dots where waterway=lock_gate or lock=yes

If anyone is interested in improving this, the 'about' page contains a link
to the mapnik xml file (canal1.xml) that I used to render it - please feel
free to suggest changes, draw little icons to replace my stylish blue dots
etc.
If you want to do something with it but are not familiar with mapnik, let me
know and I can explain how it works (as far as I know - I am no expert!).

Regards

Graham.

On 18 January 2011 16:06, Jason Cunningham <jamicuosm at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I've also got an interest in waterways and found it was possible  to make
> them "leap out" using "OSM Inspector"  in the Geofabrik Tools website
> http://tools.geofabrik.de/
>
> This is the link I use to view water in South London
>
> http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=water&lon=-0.04362&lat=51.38228&zoom=11&opacity=0.48&overlays=bodies_of_water,bodies_of_water,broken_bow,vmap0_rivers,long_rivers,waterways_river,waterways_stream,waterways_drain,waterways_canal,waterways_riverbank,waterways_other,waterways_in_tunnels,waterways_on_bridges
>
> A bit long, but it works.
> Waterway data has the potential to be some of the most "accurate" in OSM
> due to the very high quality water line data made available in OS
> VectorMap_Data.
>
> Jason
>
> On 17 January 2011 23:05, Chris Moss <moschris at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm interested in the GB waterways and it seems there's quite a bit of
>> work done but it's totally invisible. Is anyone working on a layer like the
>> cycle map, which leaps out from the overlays as the only minority interest
>> yet developed?
>>
>> It's not the only layer I'd like to see. What about walking paths,
>> railways, contours,  points of interest, postcode areas, administrative
>> boundaries, constituencies, bus routes, etc., etc.
>>
>> Shouldn't maps allow you to concentrate on whatever you're interested in?
>> Can someone please explain to me how or if this can be done with
>> openstreetmap?
>>
>> Chris

Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK.