[Talk-GB] FIXME and incorrect tags

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 10:18:52 GMT 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 9:55 AM, James Davis <jamesd at jml.net> wrote:
> I've come across a few combinations recently of ways being tagged 'foo=bar;fixme=foo is wrong, please check'.
>
> If you know that the foo tag is definitely incorrect; isn't it better to remove it completely?

Not in every case. For example, if you remove the highway tag, then it
will disappear from all the various maps, won't be available to any of
the routing applications etc - which is probably overkill when the
classification just needs tweaking. The equivalent on wikipedia is
saying that we should remove paragraphs with [citation needed] while
we wait on someone fixing the problem.

> - Tools using the data won't easily be able to parse a freeform fixme tag. 'highway=motorway;fixme=highway tag clearly wrong, please correct' being a good example.
> - I can't easily tell if actually foo used to be baz instead of bar and had already been corrected by someone who didn't notice or change the fixme tag.
>
> What's the correct way to highlight incorrect tags where no replacement data is yet available. Add a fixme, or remove and add fixme?

It depends on the circumstances, there's no single "correct way". I
would say in the majority of cases, either add a fixme to the data, or
add a bug report to one of the bug tracking systems.

Cheers,
Andy