[Talk-GB] Copyright issues of checking details on other websites

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Mon Jul 4 14:05:39 BST 2011

On 04/07/2011 12:48, Donald Noble wrote:
> Sorry if this has been covered before, but I was just wondering what
> the copyright position is with checking details of, say a church or a
> shop, on their website and then adding those details to OSM?
>
> I would have thought that this was fair use of the information they
> are providing on their website, and if anything would help to promote
> their business, but it would be good to get another opinion.

I certainly do this all the time for a street address and other
information since I consider fair use in the way you point out and the
they are not in the business of trying to make money from listing
locations, (such websites I avoid).  Also for information and to provide
an implicit attribution, I also add their website as website=.

Mike