[Talk-GB] Copyright issues of checking details on other websites

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue Jul 5 11:58:27 BST 2011

On 05/07/2011 11:26, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> David Earl wrote:
>> Even then, to infringe database copyright under UK law you would have to
>> copy a "substantial" part of the database. Checking or obtaining a few
>> names against such a list isn't database copyright infringement
>
> Oh, absolutely. The thing I've always been anxious about, though, is that
> J Random Mapper checking 5 addresses from tesco.com isn't substantial, and
> K Random Mapper checking 5 random addresses isn't, and L Random Mapper...

Yes, that crossed my mind as well. But who would the copyright holder
sue in those circumstances?

To take a different example, the Royal Mail (still) claims database
copyright over the PAF (postcode address file) database. Would crowd
sourcing the address vs postcode data by each individual putting in
their own data constitute database copyright infringement and if so who
is the infringer?

David