[Talk-GB] OS OpenData and ODbL OK

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Jul 5 13:14:07 BST 2011

Robert Whittaker (OSM) wrote:
> So presumably we also need confirmation from Ordnance
> Survey that they're happy for their content to be
> distributed under DbCL (or at least under the ODbL+DbCL
> combination).

I think that's a red herring, isn't it? ODbL imposes additional requirements
over and above DbCL. OSM is not distributing OS OpenData under DbCL alone,
nor does it permit anyone else to do so (subject to the usual 'Substantial'
test, which is of course Database Directive stuff and therefore governs OS's
existing data distribution business anyway).

What circumstances can you envisage in which OSM-distributed OS OpenData
might not be subject to the provisions of ODbL?

cheers
Richard