[Talk-GB] OSM Analysis updated with new OS Locator data and a review of progress to date

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Jun 8 07:58:54 BST 2011

Following on swiftly from Musical Chairs OSM Analaysis is now also
running with the new OS Locator data.

Warwickshire is the biggest gainer/looser with 33 new names; over half
of the districts have got at least one new road and there are now only
8 places still at 100%. We do  have 51 at over 99% and only 32 at
under 50%. There is serious work in Wales, parts of Scotland, the West
Midlands and Norfolk at present and in other places as well.

Progress is however slowing down. We were at 20K roads per month and
are now down to some 11K which is pushing completion back to Autumn
2013.

Any more takers for the OS Bot? I still think we are using a lot of
expert time to do very mundane work less well than a computer would
manage. Anyone who says that bulk imports will damage the community
should take a look at the Netherlands where they did a bulk road
import some years ago and have a hugely strong community now. For the
avoidance of doubt I will not bulldoze this proposal through against
the majority wishes, but there are people asking why we are doing all
this manually and I think they have a point and don't want the
proposal to be forgotten. The bot will still make is clear that a
manual survey has not been completed of the area and invite people to
take a look. It will free up human effort to do work that can't be
done by a computer.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OS_bot

Regards,

Peter Miller