[Talk-GB] OSM Analysis New Data and bot

Thu Jun 9 23:20:24 BST 2011

Peter Miller wrote:
> According to OSM Mapper Worcester has been developing nicely over a
> couple of years.
>
> Fyi, the most active mapper is this srbrook. "Mapper since: 14 October
> 2009 at 20:30 (over 1 year ago). Description: I'm Steve and have been
> mapping in the south Worcester, UK area since October 2009. For more
> details of what I've been up to see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Srbrook
>
> The second most active in Jenuk1985 who joined in 2008 and stopped
> editing in the area over a year ago but is now busy to the west of
> B'ham.
>
> The third most active mapper who again stopped editing in the area
> over a year ago is called Richard and seems to be closely involved in
> Potlatch!

The problem with these fast-moving mailing lists is that I get halfway
through a reply to Graham's e-mail, go to the pub, come back and then
there's another one on the same subject to reply to. :)

But... you've kind of illustrated what a mountain we have to climb; and
that OSSV-aided completeness _doesn't_ help.

Steve Brook is amazing. Steve is amazing in the same way as ChrisH and
AndyR and JerryC and AndyA and EdL and HarryW and DerickR and the
Cambridge guys and the Oxford guys and a hundred others. These are the
people who have built OSM. These are the people who have made it the
unique, rich, ground-truthed dataset that it is.

Jeni is an OSSV tracer from Bromsgrove. She appears not to have used the
source= tag so (as per Graham's observations) it won't show up in any
visualisation of such. I'm sure she believes what she did is useful. As
it is she's refused ODbL+CT so it's immaterial in a week or two anyway.

And then: the third most active mapper in Worcester, a "complete" city,
is me. That is ridiculous. I live in Charlbury, Oxfordshire. Even by
InterCity train I'm an hour away. I organised a small mapping afternoon
there once and have done some tiny other bits on the occasions that I
visit because it has an awesome cathedral, an awesome pub, and a branch
of Waterstones.

Worcester is nominally "complete"; yet despite the assurances of people
in this thread that "completeness will bring more mappers", Worcester
has just one mapper, Steve, who was active anyway before OSSV came along.

Does that not make you stop and think?

cheers
Richard