[Talk-GB] OSM Analysis New Data and bot

Graham Stewart graham at dalmuti.net
Fri Jun 10 11:16:07 BST 2011

> I'm arguing that completing the map by survey creates a community who
> will go on to improve and maintain the map.

This is no doubt true.
But surely having an area that has been *surveyed* to 100% road name
completion is just as likely to put off any new contributors as one that
was *traced* to 100%?
(i.e. "not very" in my opinion)

Also I think we're looking at this from two different perspectives. If
you're near Birmingham where you have a nearly one million residents who
might join in on a local community. "Doing it the hard way" to build a
community spirit might work there.

I'm in a rural Northumberland with a local population of 3000. Many of
the back roads have hardly any traffic and I've barely seen a handful of
edits in my local area since I joined OSM a year ago. If we insist on
doing it the hard way round here then don't expect road completion for a
decade or two.