[Talk-GB] OSM Analysis New Data and bot

Fri Jun 10 11:25:10 BST 2011

Graham Stewart wrote:
> This is no doubt true.
> But surely having an area that has been *surveyed* to 100% road name
> completion is just as likely to put off any new contributors as one that
> was *traced* to 100%?
> (i.e. "not very" in my opinion)

I don't think so. Again, the difference is that you're reaching 100%
with the involvement of numerous people, rather than 100% with the
involvement of one importer. And when you have that vibrant community,
it's self-sustaining. People leave and people come. OSM at national
level is a good example of this.

> Also I think we're looking at this from two different perspectives. If
> you're near Birmingham where you have a nearly one million residents who
> might join in on a local community. "Doing it the hard way" to build a
> community spirit might work there.
>
> I'm in a rural Northumberland with a local population of 3000.

Yet I'm nowhere near Birmingham. I'm in the rural Cotswolds with a local
population of 3000. I used to live in rural Rutland with a local
population of 150. Both areas are mapped, excellently, by survey - and
largely not by me either!

 > Many of the back roads have hardly any traffic and I've barely seen a
 > handful of edits in my local area since I joined OSM a year ago.

Great shame. So - recruit some more mappers. Write better tools to help
the people who show up nearby on your user page, yet who haven't edited yet.

cheers
Richard