[Talk-GB] OSM Analysis New Data and bot

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Fri Jun 10 13:17:26 BST 2011

Richard Fairhurst <richard at ...> writes:

>>This is no doubt true.
>>But surely having an area that has been *surveyed* to 100% road name
>>completion is just as likely to put off any new contributors as one that
>>was *traced* to 100%?

>I don't think so. Again, the difference is that you're reaching 100%
>with the involvement of numerous people, rather than 100% with the
>involvement of one importer. And when you have that vibrant community,
>it's self-sustaining.

I think we all agree that reaching 100% completeness with a collection of people
doing diverse surveying methods (and even aerial tracing) is much better than
reaching 90% completeness by importing.  (The OS data is not 100% complete so it
can never take us all the way to 100%, except by the limited metric of comparing
ourselves to OS.)

But you are leaving out the third possibility which is an area stuck at 40%
completion, which doesn't have a vibrant community either.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>