[Talk-GB] OSM Analysis New Data and bot

Craig Loftus craigloftus+osm at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 13 11:00:24 BST 2011

On 13 June 2011 10:06, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> I've got one National Grid square (SO) here and it's 202Mb zipped, 709Mb
> unzipped. There are 56 such squares. 56x709Mb is 39.7Gb _but_ I'd estimate
> that SO is one of the busiest squares, so we're maybe talking 20Gb or so for
> the whole of Britain. As for bandwidth - hooee, who knows how many times
> eager OSMers might want to download bits of it...

Rather than caning my current server, I'm looking into using S3 (or
another provider) so I can get an idea of just how download happy
users will be. Then I can figure out what the cheapest solution will
be.

If anyone knows about using cloud-hosting as a mirror, particularly if
you think it is a terrible idea, please speak up now.

Craig