[Talk-GB] OSM Analysis New Data and bot

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 20:32:10 BST 2011

I may be showing my ignorance, but isn't S3 a virtual server that you can
run code on etc?

I thought that all this needs is a web (or does it have to be ftp) server?

Cloudnext (http://cloudnext.co.uk) do a web hosting package with 'unlimited'
storage space and bandwidth for £70 pa (+vat I suspect), which does not
sound bad.   They seem to be ok - they host my http://maps3.org.uk server,
which seems reliable enough (but it does not get hammered).

The biggest issue I see is getting the data onto the server.   The nice
people at OS sent me all of VMD on DVDs, so I have them on my home server,
but ftp'ing them up to another server using my domestic broadband would take
forever......would need someone with a nice fast upload connection.

Regards

Graham.

On 13 June 2011 11:00, Craig Loftus <craigloftus+osm at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 13 June 2011 10:06, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> > I've got one National Grid square (SO) here and it's 202Mb zipped, 709Mb
> > unzipped. There are 56 such squares. 56x709Mb is 39.7Gb _but_ I'd
> estimate
> > that SO is one of the busiest squares, so we're maybe talking 20Gb or so
> for
> > the whole of Britain. As for bandwidth - hooee, who knows how many times
> > eager OSMers might want to download bits of it...
>
> Rather than caning my current server, I'm looking into using S3 (or
> another provider) so I can get an idea of just how download happy
> users will be. Then I can figure out what the cheapest solution will
> be.
>
> If anyone knows about using cloud-hosting as a mirror, particularly if
> you think it is a terrible idea, please speak up now.
>
> Craig

Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK.