[Talk-GB] OSM Analysis New Data and bot

Craig Loftus craigloftus+osm at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 13 21:17:41 BST 2011

On Jun 13, 2011 8:32 PM, "Graham Jones" <grahamjones139 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I may be showing my ignorance, but isn't S3 a virtual server that you can
> run code on etc?
>
> I thought that all this needs is a web (or does it have to be ftp) server?

Not quite. S3 is a web storage 'solution'. It can't run code, it is
basically just a place to stick data, typically media, which is then
available via Amazon's CDN. The most you can do with it is run simple static
websites, or host mirrors :).

The reason I suggested that approach is that it is charged on a pay as you
go basis, meaning we can use it for a month or 2 and it will allow us a view
of how much storage and bandwidth we need when shopping for something more
permanent.

> The biggest issue I see is getting the data onto the server. The nice
> people at OS sent me all of VMD on DVDs, so I have them on my home server,
> but ftp'ing them up to another server using my domestic broadband would
take
> forever......would need someone with a nice fast upload connection.

Yes, I was wondering about that. I work for the University of Bath so I can
access a relatively fast upload connection.

Cheers,
Craig