[Talk-GB] Postcode finder based on OSM data

Craig Loftus craigloftus+osm at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 17 11:09:11 GMT 2011

Nice work Matt, I look forward to an alternative to RM's postcode finder.

> - Largely based on the Karlsruhe Schema (including the associatedStreet relation for grouping houses together)

A question with regard to your handling of associatedStreet; how do
you tag for and 'parse' multi-segment streets?

I've been using addr:street but the idea of the associatedStreet
relation does appeal to me. However having just experimented with it,
its not clear to me what the current 'popular' practice is for
associating houses with multi-segment streets? The 'spec' for
associatedStreet directs processors to consider type=street relations
to be equivalent, but differs (cf. [1] & [2]) in only allowing one
instance of the street role. One might naturally create a separate
street relation that defines the street and then add that as a child
of associatedStreet, but this seems to be precluded by the 2 relations
being considered equivalent.

A practical approach would seem to be for an implementation to accept
multiple instances of the street role, as either ways or relations.
Where a child-relation of role=street is treated as a collection of
segments.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:associatedStreet#Using_relations_to_associate_house_and_street_.28optional.29
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Street

Cheers,