[Talk-GB] Postcode finder based on OSM data

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Thu Mar 17 13:42:41 GMT 2011

On 17 March 2011 13:41, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:
> This is great stuff - could I make a few suggestions?
>
> - When displaying the textual address put a comma between name and street.
>  For example
>  <http://milliams.dev.openstreetmap.org/postcodefinder/house/way/42732730/>
>  should show 'Mole Avon, Station Yard'.  The comma is not necessary for house
>  *numbers* but it is for names.

Good idea.

> - If a street does have house numbers but not the particular number entered,
>  there might be the option to log this in a bug database.

Yes, this is a good idea. I hadn't considered active bug reporting
like this based on user feedback but reports like this could be useful
to find holes in the data set.

> The following two suggestions would make the tool more useful, but they might
> be out of scope if your intention is strictly to show fully-tagged Karlsruhe
> schema data and nothing else.

I'm trying to not restrict myself. I'm simply using the Karlsruhe
Schema as a starting point, I'm happy to take in extra information
where it will be useful.

> - Have you considered using the Code Point Open data as a fallback in case the
>  postcode is not in OSM?  It would not allow an exact address to be pinpointed
>  but it could give a link to the right area of the map with a hint to get to
>  work populating it fully.

Yup, this is already on my TODO. First I need to convert the OS grid
refs to OSM coordinates.

> - Similarly if a street is found but has no house numbers, zoom to that street.

Again, good idea.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll add these to my TODO.

--
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com