[Talk-GB] Electricity generator tagging

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu May 26 15:35:02 BST 2011

On 26 May 2011 12:38, Borbus <borbus at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/05/11 11:51, Peter Miller wrote:
>> We have releases a new Electricity generation map using ITO Map ... <snip>
>
> That's convenient since I just tagged the gas fired and biomass CHP
> plants at my university the other day. :)

Very good. There does seem to be a lot of interest in electricity
mapping at present.

> What is the best way to tag wind farms?  Currently one near me has nodes
> for each turbine with power_source=wind on each one.  It seems it would
> be better to have each one as man_made=wind_turbine or something and
> group them together with a relation, since the estimated energy output
> of a wind farm is usually stated as a whole rather than per turbine.

It certainly makes sense to map each turbine as a node.

Without looking at the tagging schema in detail on the wiki it would
seem to be appropriate to be able to mark each actual turbine with its
maximum rated output and then have some way in the relation to
indicate typical and maximum output from the array. If no maximum is
given then the down-stream system should assume the maximum is the
summation of the maximums of the individuals.

Would it be useful to have 'generator:output:electricity:peak' and a
'generator:output:electricity:mean' for the overall windfarm?

I have noticed recently that substations can come in various forms
which include transmission, distribution and collector. They give the
example of a wind farm for the 'collector' substation.

Should we used substation=xxxx for that information?

More details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_substation

We will be adding node features to ITO Map in due course btw.

Regards,

Peter