[Talk-GB] Electricity generator tagging

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu May 26 15:41:14 BST 2011

On 26 May 2011 15:35, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com> wrote:

> Would it be useful to have 'generator:output:electricity:peak' and a
> 'generator:output:electricity:mean' for the overall windfarm?

I went over with this with friends who are renewable energy
experts/professionals. I don't think it helps to get into that level of
detail because generators don't really have a "mean" output unless you're
updating on a regular interval and document that interval.

You can usually access information about the "rating" or "capacity" or "peak
output", which is enough to give data users an idea as to whether you've
tagged a little roof-mounted micro turbine or a whopping great big 5MW
turbine.

Something I'd love to do is link OSM nodes with live data output. There are
web sites like Pachube and some companies sell kit to customers so they can
track output online, but it's sadly a long way from being standardised. Some
friends of mine want to put a display on the side of Peckham library with
the area's real-time energy output, linking to OSM data to show where it's
coming from :D

Regards,
Tom