[Talk-GB] Size - Importance of features - (Was Drinking Map of UK)

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 15:11:39 GMT 2011

Thanks Craig,
I think you are right - we can move the beer map discussion to the wiki.
There is just one point I wanted to raise, which is more generic.

My main remaining concern is the invention of the industry key.

The issue we have here is trying to distinguish between the relative sizes
of features (in this case breweries), which we are proposing to do by
having 'craft=' or 'industry=' tags depending on the size.

I have a similar issue with other features - for example 'shop=supermarket'
can cover a huge range of things from a single shop unit sized one, to a
huge hypermarket - when producing a map you may want to give preference to
the large, more significant ones so that these always appear, and the
smaller ones only appear at lower zoom level, when there is enough space on
the image.
You get the same thing with historic features - you might want the big
abbeys and castles to appear at low zoom levels and not be obscured by
individual war memorials.

Therefore I wonder if another generic tag should be used to help with these
things - for highways we use 'layer', but I think something else would be
useful for other features a 'significance', 'size', or 'importance' value -
probably a number like 'layer'.
This will inevitably be subjective, but the wiki page for the feature could
have some guidance on how to define the value.

I wondered what anyone else thought of this, or if something similar is
already used in some places that I have not found?

--
Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK.