[Talk-GB] Recovering NaPTAN bus stops

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Apr 13 12:09:48 BST 2012

On 9 April 2012 18:59, Andrew <andrewhainosm at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Some of the bus stops imported from NaPTAN in the Teddington/Hampton area
> appear
> to have been deleted where they duplicated stops entered by a mapper who
> has not
> accepted the Contributor Terms. As the stops will disappear from the map
> completely, is it better to undelete the stops or to survey them fresh?

It may be better to start with a more general review / update of NaPTAN bus
stop data in OSM. At ITO we are keen to get more comprehensive coverage of
NaPTAN codes into OSM which is currently patchy and out-of-date.

Personally I would suggest working from imported NaPTAN data first, then
check alignment where possible from aerial photography and then do a ground
survey where convenient or opportunistically. Comparing attributes in OSM
and the current NaPTAN database would be interesting as a starting point.

At ITO we are waiting for the new planet files to start appearing when we
will kick of a new build of our model and see what ITO Map and OSM Analysis
show up. Is there any news on the planet file restart?

Fyi, we will be getting weekly updates to NaPTAN data from 1st May or there
abouts.

Regards,

Peter