[Talk-GB] Rights of Way Tagging [Was Hampshire Vandalization - No Bere Forest?]

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sun Apr 22 09:31:04 BST 2012

>We probably shouldn't be using "ORPA" in OSM as this is an OS-specific
>term, that AFAIK only exists on their maps.

I'm not so sure. In Hampshire in particular there are large numbers of tracks which "obviously" have public access (e.g. footpaths end on them, evidence of frequent foot/horse use) yet no explicit signposting. If we tag these with "designation=orpa" or perhaps something less formal, e.g. "suspected=orpa" (I think I used this once or twice) we can indicate these "likely" ORPAs. In some cases these are actually byways but without the signing there is no hard evidence. A "suspected" tag indicates the lack of hard evidence but allows users of the data to pick up on them and do what they will with them.

Nick