[Talk-GB] Added road schemes announced in the Autumn Statement in OSM

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Dec 12 19:20:56 GMT 2012

Just spotted all the activity on this thread which is great to see.
Personally I am reasonably neutral on what policy emerges from this
conversation.

I do agree that few schemes are really really certain until the diggers
arrive. By way of example, I personally removed the Longdendale bypass (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longdendale_Bypass) from OSM a few years ago
after the HA pulled out of the public inquiry when the inspector had
rejected their traffic predictions for the seventh time! I do also agree
that it is also far from certain that HS2 will be built whatever the
administration is saying at present.

I would therefore understand the view that nothing should be added as
proposed until it is 99% certain that it will be constructed. By way of
example it would be most remarkable if the A11 Fiveways scheme was not
completed now that work has started. It would also be remarkable if
Crossrail was not completed (but there is a bit more risk there). Some
people however seem to believe that it is never appropriate to add content
until construction has actually started for that bit of the infrastructure
which seems a bit extreme.

As people may know, I am very interested in understanding and modelling how
our transport system is likely to develop and I if it is agreed that
information about less certain schemes does not belong in OSM then we at
ITO will devise a system to hold this information separately and allow
people to contribute to it. We will combine it with OSM so that people can
see what it might look like. You can see an example for the Norwich
Northern Distributor Road (which is not in OSM btw) here:
http://www.itoworld.com/map/245#

Another approach would be to allow 'aspiration' as a tag prefix for roads
that have considerable support but which do not yet meet the strict
requirements for 'proposed'.

Can I suggest that we work out what we believe are appropriate guidelines
here and then get them discussion on an appropriate  international list and
also on the wiki?

Regards,

Peter Miller
ITO World Ltd