[Talk-GB] Routing Addresses

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Mon Dec 24 15:31:59 GMT 2012

Hi
I have been playing with OSM based routing on my phone, as well as with
OSRM.

One strange thing I have been coming across is the display of addresses
seems to over use district council names and regions.

A few examples,

In this one, the start, finish and all via points are displayed as 'Main
Street, Hinckley and Bosworth'. No mention of the actual places they are
in, or the county Leicestershire, which are how they need to be shown in
order to be useful for navigation. Hinckley and Bosworth is the district
council and is just not used as an address or location.
http://osrm.at/1Xb

Again in the neighbouring district, of Blaby. Again the start and finish
are displayed using the district council name, again irrelevant for
navigation and again fails to name the villages or county.
http://osrm.at/1Xc

Moving into Shropshire other strange things happen, High Street, Wem to
High Street, Ellesmere are both shown as High Street, United Kingdom.
http://osrm.at/1Xd

The above locations in Marble come out as
High Street, Wem, Shropshire, West Midlands, England, United Kingdom
and
High Street, Ellesmere, Shropshire Unitary Authority, West Midlands,
England, United Kingdom. This just seems to be information overload.
West Midlands does seem crazy, most will think Birmingham and Coventry
when they see West Midlands, not rural Shropshire.

Is there some better tagging we can do in OSM to lessen the visibility
of districts and regions, and get the display to a useful town or
village and county. Or is this a problem of the routers?

Thanks for reading.
Phil