[Talk-GB] Marking landuse and field boundaries

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 21:59:45 GMT 2012

I would like to see field boundaries and land uses in OSM, for the same
reason as you.   I think the main reason that there are not many in there,
is that they are very difficult to survey.  I have just added them from
memory when I have been able to remember enough - it is more realistic to
add them now that we have high resolution Bing imagery for countryside
areas, but it is a lot of work, even from an armchair.

Graham.

On 31 December 2012 21:17, Steven Horner <steven at stevenhorner.com> wrote:

> Personally I would love to see fields (landuse) and the walls/fences that
> make this up marked on OSM but as per the Wiki this is a complicated area:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Land_use_and_areas_of_natural_land
>
> I mapped a small area with landuse and some fences months ago but
> refrained from doing anymore because not many others appear to be doing it.
> You can see what I did here:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=54.72508907318115&lon=-1.7569917440414429&zoom=17
>
> Some of this I need to fix, it was my early days of OSM editing.
>
> I would love to use OSM one day as a replacement for Explorer (25K) maps
> but until things like walls/fences are shown it would be hard to do. My
> idea was to use the OSM to produce some walking guides in printed or static
> form but they would need this data added for those areas.
>
> I know everyones view is different but do others on here use the landuse
> and barrier=fence tags in the same way or does it make it look too
> complicated.
>
> Steven

Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK.